ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r405524 - in /ant/core/trunk/src: main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Execute.java main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/rmic/ForkingSunRmic.java testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/ExecuteWatchdogTest.java
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 09:49:30 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 09 May 2006, <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> As well as simplifying a common operation, it is a foundation for
>> instance specific logic to decide if an execute failed, which could
>> be of use in VMS land.
>
> You better check with your contacts in the OpenVMS group for some of
> your changes.
>
> The tasks executing Java VMs (this includes tasks running rmic or
> javac) explicitly checked for a 0 exit code since we've been told the
> Java VM wouldn't be playing be OpenVMS rules and return 0 on success.

I havent actually done any vms-ready work, just wrapped up the process
of getting the return code then checking for a failure into a method
that is part of the Execute() instance.

For java checking we'd use the normal logic, and then if -and only if-
you switch to a new checker would a normal exec change its result checking.

Personally, I'm not 100% sure that you can have a zero-change switch to
getting something like jboss to build on OpenVMs, not if it <exec>s some
things and <java>s others. Though calling their build from another build
file that used <presetdef> to change exec default behaviours could maybe
pull it off.