ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell \(DPML\)" <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject RE: ComponentHelper replacement
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 19:10:11 GMT

Close? Maybe.
The solution? No.

IMO Maven is too focussed on build time concerns (as opposed to the overall
runtime management subject). In effect Maven's underlying framework does not
fold easily into deployment and runtime solutions (which is at the end of
the day the product of a build).  In addition there are simple pragmatic
issues that Maven does not fulfil.  My point is that Ant as an API needs to
evolve and its evolution should be driven by API users.  It's not a question
of Maven - Maven does not deliver what I need - I can build systems on Ant
that deliver better solutions than Maven but in doing so, there are issues
in the Ant API.

My preference is to improve Ant's API.

> > I.e. perhaps Dominique's suggestion on the money?
>
> You meant Wolfgang, no? ;-) --DD

LOL - Yes.

However - it raises an interesting question:

>Dominique wrote:
> Ant's purpose is as a build tools, not a Java library.

So, the question is "can Ant evolve into a good Java API?"

  If the answer is YES - in your opinion .. how?
  If the answer is NO - in your opinion .. why not?

Cheers, Steve.