ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jackson" <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [patch] NioFileUtils, FileUtilsAdapter + factory (was Re: AW: Adding a methof to StringUtils)
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:09:52 GMT
> You do not gain by using nio when copying files to a local drive.

As far as I know, you do gain a little, in the flexibility offered
(memory mapped files, channels etc).  The code is also (usually) much
easier to maintain compared to standard IO.

> I do not know what in the implementation of nio allows to gain this
> performance.

When I first looked at it, I think it had something to do with the
blocking behaviour of standard IO, NIO is actually Non-(blocking) IO
in this respect.  Sort of how Apache 1 (used blocking threads), ->
Apache 2 (uses non-blocking model), at least I think that's how the
performance is achieved.