ant-dev mailing list archives

From j.@kruithof.xs4all.nl
Subject Re: Marking deprecated with since tags
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:21:27 GMT

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Kev Jackson wrote:

>>  * @deprecated since 1.4.x Use getGlobalFilterSet().addFilter(token,value)
>>
>>  Is this seen as useful.
>>
>>  And how do you look at the proposal to drop the deprecated since 1.4.x in
>>  1.7?
>>
> +1
> There's a fair bit of old code that has been deprecated for a while - I
> seriously doubt that users are going to suddenly update from Ant 1.3 to Ant
> 1.7 and expect all their builds to work.
>
> Kev

This is not about normal users of ant, but of 3pp using the code of ant,
for instance to provide ant tasks. If someone made an Ant task on 1.3 it
continues to function until we remove these items. So it could very well
be that the user is using this task originally designed for ant 1.3,
rebuild by someone else against ant 1.6.5 (ignoring the deprication
warnings), gets intro trouble.

otoh if we never can clean up anthing...

Martijn