ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: Additional SourceSafe (VSS) Tasks - Any Comments?
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:13:48 GMT
Kevin Jackson wrote:

>>Standard Ant contains a number of VSS tasks and I'm writing a couple
>>more for my own use (tasks relating to file / project properties, such
>>as shared versions). My questions are: should I submit these tasks for
>>possible inclusion in the standard Ant distribution? And if so, do you
>>have any advice on  the best way to do that? I've read the "Task Design
>>Guidelines", by the way.
>>

>Anybody have a problem with splitting VSS off into an antlib so that
>people with VSS can easily add tasks etc?  I recall that there are
>also a couple of bugs listed (enhancements and patches) for VSS, but
>without anyone willing to test them, they aren't going to be worked
>on.  I see an antlib being useful here, but would like to know what
>other people think.

I've knocked together an antlib for vss against 1.7 trunk.

I still need to write the testcases (JUnit + xml files), but is there
any interest in this approach so that the VSS users can add commands /
support VSS outside of the dev cycle for Ant proper?

We do have quite a few outstanding issues for VSS and very few (if any)
of the committer team have access on a regular basis to a VSS install

Having spent the past hour or so getting VSS to acknowledge Ant
interacting with it (or indeed even the MS supplied command line tools),
I'm in favour of pushing all of this code off into an ant lib which the
users can manage by themselves!

FYI, I'd be willing to put in the initial effort to deliver an antlib if
the rest of you thought it was worthwhile - indeed it's mostly there
already, and I'd be willing to incorporate additional code into this
antlib - *for the next two weeks while I have access to VSS*

I feel like I need a wash...

Kev