ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: [patch] NioFileUtils, Java6FileUtils, FileUtilsAdapter + factory, build.xml (was Re: AW: Adding a methof to StringUtils)
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:51:41 GMT

> In that case I would like some time to think things over, as to
> provide one face, and to have different implementations for currently
> different parts.
> Classes that support copying, things that support permissions, things
> that support path manipulation, without getting a really big number of
> classes.
>
> FileUtils for Java 1.6 on Windows
> FileUtils for Java 1.4 on VMS
> etc.
>
> I had an idea to turn FileUtils into a Facade that delegates different
> actions to different back-ends.

I think I can see where you are going with this, and it's definitely an
alternative to what I thought to begin with and the direction I was
heading in the code.  I'm viewing the cleanest split as using an
interface, from your perspective you think a master FileUtils (class not
interface) that delegates all the real work to a specialization class.
I think that your view would provide the quickest benefit - ie it would
be more easily added to the entire codebase (as there would be no need
to remove references to FileUtils from all the tasks).

Thanks for your thoughts
Kev