ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Adding a methof to StringUtils
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:40:29 GMT
Kev Jackson wrote:

> If it came to it I'd -1 it too!  I don't like any of the solutions I
> could come up with yesterday, the one I showed was the 'least worst'
> that I could think of, with a semi-upgrade path to Java5 style varargs
> (use an object array).  I was mainly throwing the idea out to see what
> peoples reactions were - overall I don't think it's the right way to
> solve the problem - the real problem is that the level of logging cannot
> currently be determined and so any optimization (for memory or
> performance) is actually changing the behaviour of the code - which it
> shouldn't do.
>
> The delete task was just an example - I was looking at it to fix 'delete
> task won't be quiet' bug in bugzilla, and I was also thinking about the
> problem with AppFuse, (which does use Delete a little, but not as much
> as Copy and other tasks), so it seemed like a handy guinea pig as I had
> the code open at the time.
>
> I was also looking at Copy and saw that ResourceUtils.copyResource is a
> static method, but FileUtils.copyFile is not even though it delegates to
> copyResource, this means that in Copy there must be an instantiated
> fileUtils object, just to perform the copy, unfortunately the FileUtils
> interface/API is public so changing it would break bwc, but I'd like to
> add a static method for copyFile so that Copy wont need to instantiate
> FileUtils.

One thing I've always been curious about is how much speedup we'd get by
turning off all logging. That is, if I modified log() to discard its
contents, how much faster would everything be? We couldnt use the test
suite as a benchmark, because  too many tests depend on the log, and it
probably isnt realistic.