ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r381780 - in /ant/core/trunk: WHATSNEW docs/manual/OptionalTasks/junit.html src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/junit/JUnitTestRunner.java src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/junit/JUnitVersionHelper.java
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:29:41 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> I haven't looked into the implemenation of JUnit4TestAdapter so I
> have to ask you 8-)

Sure, was expecting some questions here...

> Even if I have JUnit 4 on my CLASSPATH I can still use JUnit 3 style
> of tests (no annotations, naming conventions instead).

Yes.

> Will this patch still allow me to run those tests?  Or will wrapping the tests
> in a JUnit4TestAdapter force me to use annotations?

No, you can still use the 3-compatible tests as before.

You do need to be running JDK 5+ since the JUnit team decided to compile
even the compatibility classes with -source 1.5 and against JDK 5
classes like StringBuilder, which Ant can't work around. I will however
patch JUnitTestRunner a tiny bit to be able to run JUnit 3 tests on JDK
1.4 if your classpath contains JUnit 3 _before_ JUnit 4. Not very much
help but could make transition a bit easier for some folks: just include
both versions of JUnit on your classpath in order, and you will be able
to run JUnit 3 tests always, and 4 tests under JDK 5+.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org
         http://google.com/search?q=e%5E(pi*i)%2B1