ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Junut4
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 21:11:42 GMT
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006, Jesse Glick <jesse.glick@sun.com> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> putting even more modifications into the current task (adding a new
>> JUnitResultFormatter subclass for ignored tests, for example) will
>> make it even more convoluted than it currently is.
>
> Of course. The question is how this additional complexity balances
> against the duplication of code and resulting maintenance problems
> if we have two tasks.

I here you, and I agree to a certain extent.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/sandbox/antlibs/junit4/trunk/

> The twist in this case is that we are dealing with an upgrade to a
> library for which we already provide support in the Ant distro; no
> clear precedent for that, beyond the customary support for tools in
> new JDK releases.

"no clear precedent" is very true.  There are tasks like javacc that
try to adapt to three different versions and there is jspc which only
supports Tomcat 4 since Tomcat 5 now provides a task of its own.  I
vaguely recall the ANTLR project wanted to ship an improved antlr task
as well.

Stefan