ant-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "No runnable method" exception during junit task with SVN HEAD and JUnit 4.
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:18:14 GMT

On Mar 20, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Jesse Glick wrote:

> Curt Arnold wrote:
>>> when Ant auto-detects JUnit-4, it doesn't look for the static
>>> suite()  method, and just assumes that you've defined all of your
>>> tests with Annotations.
>> could not find this particular issue being raised.  Is this a known
>> issue, is there an associated bug [...]
>
> Don't believe it's a known issue. Could be a bug in either junit4
> or Ant - junit4 is supposed to know about suite(), I guess.
>
> -J.

The test works fine with Ant 1.6.5 and the gump build of junit4.  The
junit-dev team was not aware of the problem and did not have any
changes at the time of the failure that seemed to be related to the
issue.  Points strongly at something in the Ant changes around 10-
Mar-2006, though I did not investigate further since it seemed to be
a known issue to Bill Barker.

Also, ant-contrib-tests started to fail its unit tests on 10-Mar-2006
(with no CVS activity for months), however unlike the log4j failure,
it could not be cleaned up by reverting to junit 3.8.1.

There are a lot of other Gump failures that started roughly the same
time (currently 31 failures on http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/
project_todos.html), but with a lot of different failure scenarios.
A few of them (for example, http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/xml-
fop/xml-fop/gump_work/build_xml-fop_xml-fop.html) appear to be due to
a chance in the encoding expectation for Java source files.  That
would point at some change in Gump or Ant at the time unrelated to
junit.