ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <javac> on java1.5
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:02:26 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
>> Specifically, it appears to be defaulting to source=1.5
>> [...]
>> I checked out the source in CVS; they are not saying source="1.5"; they
>> are not saying anything about the source version. Yet javac has switched
>> to java1.5. This is breaking backwards compatibility for builds.
>
> It was always my understanding that <javac>, just like SUN's compiler,
> always defaults to the current Java source level for the JDK.
>
> Wrong assumption? The fact that the Java language evolves, making
> older sources incompatible with it, is not really pointing to a BC
> issue for <javac> IMHO.
>
> Gump moving to 1.5 has got to have consequences, it can't be
> transparent, when new keywords and classes are added to the platform
> (even new classes can break the source, when it's using import foo.*).
> --DD

Gump didnt want to move to java1.5; junit forced their hand. Now old
code, code that built and worked happily, has broken. The usual cause is
that enum is now reserved.

Now, when <rmic>'s dependency logic broke moving up to 1.5, I fixed it
by forcing the proxy generation to be downwards compatible, so
everything behaved as on a 1.3 or 1.4 box.

Here are some options
(1) tweak javac to build at 1.4 or below unless stated.

(2) provide a back door switch to let gump control the jvm version. that
way old code can be built under a new compiler.

#2 has appeal.