ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Junut4 (was Re: svn commit: r381780 - in /ant/core/trunk: WHATSNEW docs/manual/OptionalTasks/junit.html src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/junit/JUnitTestRunner.java src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/junit/JUnitVersionHelper.java)
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:40:47 GMT
Jesse Glick wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>> There was some discussion of junit4 implications in the ant-user mail
>> list,
>
> Ah, thanks for the pointer, missed that before. Some things I can
> extract from that thread:
>
> - ignored tests ought to be reported (currently they are just silently
> skipped)

...this would impact the style sheets, of course; maybe we'd need a
junit4 set.

> - <junit> should support specifying categories of tests
>
> Not really clear to me at this point whether the significant features of
> JUnit 4 can be accommodated comfortably inside <junit> or whether a
> separate task would be better. Making a separate task may however
> discourage migration. With the current patch you can at least put
> junit-4.0.jar on your classpath and migrate a couple of tests to it,
> without touching other tests and without touching your build script.

Before your last patch, I was in favour of a new antlib. now I'm not so
sure. After all, junit is as important as javac.

>> What does Ant's junit task [...] does badly
>>  -installation. <junit> is the first time most people encounter ant
>> lib setup grief.
>
> I guess this was fixed by my other <junit> patch a couple days ago?

yes indeed!

>> exceptions don't serialize
>
> Throwable implements Serializable, BTW.

yes, but some of the things that extend it dont deserialize at the far
end unless you have a shared classloader, jini style. My
throwable-for-the-log class has to extract the common info from the
entire chain of exceptions before sending it down the wire:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/smartfrog/core/components/junit/src/org/smartfrog/services/junit/ThrowableTraceInfo.java?view=markup