ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: <javac> on java1.5
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:22:40 GMT
> Specifically, it appears to be defaulting to source=1.5
> [...]
> I checked out the source in CVS; they are not saying source="1.5"; they
> are not saying anything about the source version. Yet javac has switched
> to java1.5. This is breaking backwards compatibility for builds.

It was always my understanding that <javac>, just like SUN's compiler,
always defaults to the current Java source level for the JDK.

Wrong assumption? The fact that the Java language evolves, making
older sources incompatible with it, is not really pointing to a BC
issue for <javac> IMHO.

Gump moving to 1.5 has got to have consequences, it can't be
transparent, when new keywords and classes are added to the platform
(even new classes can break the source, when it's using import foo.*).
--DD