ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <javadoc>'s packagenames attribute
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:54:32 GMT
--- Kev Jackson <kevin.jackson@it.fts-vn.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
(Stefan:)
> >(2) If no patterns have been specified at all,
> implicitly assume
> >packagenames="*" and match all packages that have
> been found.  This is
> >not backwards compatible since builds that have
> been breaking prior to
> >that change would suddenly start building.
> >

> At the moment, this is a relatively minor change -
> either set the
> packagenames="*" as a default value, or change the
> current
> checking/validation.
>
> >I don't see much danger in this type of backwards
> incompatibility (and
> >thus prefer option 2) but wanted to gather some
> feedback before
> >enabling it.

I agree--my interpretation of backwards-compatibility
is that working builds do not break; it is entirely
permissible to make broken builds work.  I can think
of examples where we have added a default value so
that what was once a BuildException due to some
missing attr/element is now legal... the worst that
could happen is that a build generates more doc than
it used to, and that probably presumes the use of
<try>... i.e. not realistic to assume anything working
would be changed at all, much less negatively.

-Matt