ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r367315 - /ant/core/trunk/CONTRIBUTORS
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:10:04 GMT
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006, <mbenson@apache.org> wrote:

> Log:
> can't see why this file had to be binary...

Because it contains non-ASCII characters (like in Antoine's or Jan's
surnames) and it depends on the native encoding of the machine where
you've checked out the code to whether it is able to deal with them or
not when you mark it as text/plain - even if you also specify the
charset, which may or may not be supported by your OS.

This is the major reason we switched to the XML format, all our tools
know how to deal with non-ASCII characters in XML files.

Stefan