ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SQL task testing and gump
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:28:19 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Kev Jackson <kevin.jackson@it.fts-vn.com> wrote:
>
>> Given the recent sql task bugs and realization that the tests are
>> awol, which databases could possibly be supported by Gump for
>> testing?
>
> Just look over the project's built by Gump.  hsqldb and derby are both
> there and would allow to be run as embedded databases AFAIK.
>
>> I'd imagine that there are both license and technical issues to deal
>> with regarding deploying multiple databases to test SQL task against
>> them.
>
> Given that Gump runs on multiple machines (two right now, should be
> more) and we are very low on infrastructure volunteers it is probably
> save to assume that the chance of installing anything is very close to
> zero.

Leo and I have been discussing java1.5 support; I may be able to devote
some time to do that.

> MySQL is part of Gump's own requirements, but I'm a bit reluctant of
> adding a database instance for Ant's tests.  This is a matter of
> setting precedence and having to do it for other projects as well and
> all that.

+security/account issues.

>> Problems with HSQL are the fact that it's in memory, so it may not
>> be representative of the databases that <sql> will generally be used
>> with.
>
> I'd expect it to be a good choice just because it is in memory and we
> wouldn't need any setup.

you can get HSQL to persist. Its a matter of the right JDBC URL. For the
level of testing I'm planning, in-memory works well.

We ought to be able to run a sequence of <sql> commands in the same
build file and have them all share the same db instance.

Also, its nice and fast because its not quite as 'enterprise grade' as,
say mysql, which makes tests nippy.

Ken, what tests were you thinking of?

>> Last time I tried Derby, it required a client download from IBM -
>> this instantly made me fairly annoyed, and I'm not sure about the
>> license of the client, but it certainly dampened my enthusiasm for
>> the project.
>
> I've never tried Derby myself.  The JDBC driver wouldn't cause big
> problems since just downloading stuff and providing them on the
> CLASSPATH is something I'm willing to do on the Gump machines (see
> "installed packages").

Not looked @ derby. DB-config/support in Smartfrog is on my lower
priority todo list for march, but I was going to focus on mysql because
its one we have a private component for that can just be pulled into the
public repository with the addition of an adequate set of unit tests. If
we did derby afterwards (very low priority, I'd give oracle more time),
then I'd know about installing/using it.

-steve