ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Global reply (Re: [VOTE-REPOST] Promote the Antunit Antlib out of the sandbox)
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 05:05:21 GMT
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Jan Materne <Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:

> Dont know the antlib and dont know .NET - but I dont want to be a
> obstacle here.  But: if we start with .NET, why not C/C++, Cobol,
> ... Maybe it would be better in AntContrib?

I think there is one little difference.  When the AntContrib project
picked up the C/C++ tasks from different sources there have been no
antlibs.  Now there is an antlibs subproject.

> I see two ways:
> - Ant focuses on java language --> no .NET in Ant --> .NET in
>   Ant-Contrib

It doesn't and never has, at least not strongly.  Ant is also an
important driver for document creation in several non-Java projects
for example.

> - Ant openes for other languages --> can we integrate AntContrib?

Everytime this comes up I have to ask the same question ;-)

Has anybody ever asked the AntContrib project whether it wants to be
integrated?

The AntContrib project has a very different governance model from ASF
projects.  Curt and Matt are project leaders who are not bound by any
votes or even consensus.

Stefan