ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to do with the .NET antlib
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:27:57 GMT
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> Hello Stefan,
>
> I wondered about the following :
> how does the .NET antlib relate to the .NET tasks already existing in
> Ant's codebase ?
>
> Sorry, now doing my homework. The .NET antlib contains
>
>     * dotnetexec <cid:part1.09080503.04090701@gmx.de> - run a .NET
>       assembly that's in your PATH. You can chose the framework that is
>       going to be used - defaults to Mono on non-Windows platforms and
>       Microsoft's on Windows.
>     * nant <cid:part2.00060805.03010608@gmx.de> - execute the NAnt build
>       tool.
>     * msbuild <cid:part3.05010203.02000403@gmx.de> - execute the MSBuild
>       build tool, untested.
>     * wix <cid:part4.07060200.06030002@gmx.de> - execute the WiX
>       toolset, untested.
>     * nunit <cid:part5.03050106.01030607@gmx.de> - execute the
>       nunit-console.exe NUnit <http://www.nunit.org/> test runner.
>

> The existing .NET tasks are
>
> - csc    Compiles C# code
> - vbc    Compiles VB.NET code
> - jsharpc    Compiles J# files
> - ildasm    Disassembles .NET executables and libraries
> - ilasm    Assembles .il files
> - wsdltodotnet    Generates .NET code (C# or VB) from a WSDL file
> - importtypelib    Imports a COM type library into .NET
>
> So the .NET antlib is a complement to the existing .NET tasks.
>
> I guess if there was a vote or a poll concerning the .NET tasks listed
> above, Stefan and Steve would also be interested in maintaining them,
> and it is unclear whether
> other committers would be interested too.

1. we'd probably move the existing stuff out there...

2. its a risk that only two people would have commit rights to the
project. Primarily because it is then harder for others to get their
patches in. I suspect if you look at the changelog for the existing
tasks they dont get much work on it other than (initially) me, later
stefan, and the external contrib of <vbc>