ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: What to do with the .NET antlib
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:08:05 GMT
Hello Stefan,

I wondered about the following :
how does the .NET antlib relate to the .NET tasks already existing in
Ant's codebase ?

Sorry, now doing my homework. The .NET antlib contains

    * dotnetexec <cid:part1.09080503.04090701@gmx.de> - run a .NET
      assembly that's in your PATH. You can chose the framework that is
      going to be used - defaults to Mono on non-Windows platforms and
      Microsoft's on Windows.
    * nant <cid:part2.00060805.03010608@gmx.de> - execute the NAnt build
      tool.
    * msbuild <cid:part3.05010203.02000403@gmx.de> - execute the MSBuild
      build tool, untested.
    * wix <cid:part4.07060200.06030002@gmx.de> - execute the WiX
      toolset, untested.
    * nunit <cid:part5.03050106.01030607@gmx.de> - execute the
      nunit-console.exe NUnit <http://www.nunit.org/> test runner.

The existing .NET tasks are

- csc    Compiles C# code
- vbc    Compiles VB.NET code
- jsharpc    Compiles J# files
- ildasm    Disassembles .NET executables and libraries
- ilasm    Assembles .il files
- wsdltodotnet    Generates .NET code (C# or VB) from a WSDL file
- importtypelib    Imports a COM type library into .NET

So the .NET antlib is a complement to the existing .NET tasks.

I guess if there was a vote or a poll concerning the .NET tasks listed
above, Stefan and Steve would also be interested in maintaining them,
and it is unclear whether
other committers would be interested too.

So (b) is my preferred option.

I would be interested to become a committer if I was using .NET myself
in my project,
which actually could happen.

Cheers,
Antoine