ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jar timestamp issues and Tomcat
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:22:03 GMT
Cena, Bernard (IT) wrote:
> Has anyone come across issues with timestamps when jar'ing (war) up apps
> ?
> We've just hit an issue where an app is built in one region which ends
> up with timestamps with zone set to GMT and is about to be used GMT+5 -
> Tomcat thinks all the classes are old and continually reloads things -
> there are options for getting Tomcat to ignore timestamps, but I'd
> rather work this out on the build side. Anyone have experience with this
> sort of thing - also seems that it depends on which version of jar you
> use - eg Sun JDK 1.3 jar seems to not record timezones whereas 1.4 does.
> Thanks
> Bernard

1. Are you talking about <jar> the task or jar the command line? Ant has
its own implementation of zip/jar and does not use the JRE; behaviour
should be consistent on both boxes.

2. are both boxes configured not just with different clocks, but with
the correct time zones? Ant -diagnostics works out the timezone of a box
as far as java is concerned.