ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Global reply (Re: [VOTE-REPOST] Promote the Antunit Antlib out of the sandbox)
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:35:35 GMT
Kev Jackson wrote:

>> [] Yes (i.e. +1)
>>    [] and I want to become a committer to it [ ] No
>>
>> +0
>> Dont know the antlib and dont know .NET - but I dont want to be a
>> obstacle here.
>> But: if we start with .NET, why not C/C++, Cobol, ... Maybe it would be
>> better
>> in AntContrib?
>>
>> I see two ways:
>> - Ant focuses on java language --> no .NET in Ant --> .NET in
>> Ant-Contrib
>> - Ant openes for other languages --> can we integrate AntContrib?
>>  (just for strategic thoughts; license and commitership has to be
>> checked)
>>

> Given that there's already a NAnt for .Net development, and that
> Microsoft have decided to write their own build tool (MSBuild), I don't
> really see much point in having a .Net task for Ant.  I doubt very much
> that a pure .Net application would (and dev team) would install a JRE +
> Ant + .net antlib just to build their app, when:
> a - using build tools anyway just isn't part of the Microsoft/.Net
> developer culture
> b - there are other build tools available that don't require a JRE to be
> installed
> c - one of these build tools has been 'blessed' by Microsoft
>
> The only usefulness in the ant lib would come when developing a
> cross-platform/multi-platform app where you want to build everything
> with one tool in which case Ant could be used to build for example a
> server side component in Java and a client side component in .net

1.  we have had .net tasks in ant-optional since before .net shipped.

2. I have used them in production code, doing

  -<importtypelib> to import a COM typelib to .NET binaries
  -ildasm to disassemble that typelib to .asm file
  -replaceregexp to patch the .asm file so that it imports arrays properly
  -ilasm to import the  stuff.

3. I've also used the <wsdltodotnet> and <csc> to make the client side
code for a SOAP endpoint. The easier we make it for people to do such
interop testing, the more chance people will actually write web services
that work with multiple platforms.

The .NET tasks also have mono support; you can build this stuff on a
unix box, the goal being that gump will do mono code too.

I agree, Ant wont get much traction in .NET land because they live in
their own world, a world with MSBuild if you follow the VS roadmap, NAnt
if you dont. But the .NET antlib is designed to shell out to those build
files, letting you build the different bits of your project in the
language of your choice.

-steve