ant-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: PROPOSE: Property Trace Facility For Ant?
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:36:57 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:

> Actually, I quite like the listener approach. We just need an extended
> listener; there is no reason the -listener command can't handle both
> types.
>
> The nice thing about a listener is that it lets an IDE do fancy things
> like list all properties.
>
> if we are going to do this, we should also extend the listener with
> info about every reference created.

Let me  see if I am following you.

You are imagining  a new interface, sth like "ReferenceListener" that
could have several different  implementations like BuildListener does
today.

Project.java would hold a collection of reference listeners along with
the existing collection of build listeners.

The new interface could have methods like propertySet() propertyGet()
referenceAdd() referenceGet()...

The -listener command line option could take instances  of either
Interface.

addBuildListeners() in Main.java would have  to be  extended to figure
out which Interface  was implemented by the logger with the passed in
classname.

Hmm. Might it be cleaner to add a new  command line option?

--Craeg