ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Importing and caching build files from a URL
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:18:42 GMT
On 11/29/05, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de <Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:
> It would fit better into Ant´s future if the existing <import> would
> support <resources> - e.g. <urlresource>s.

We've had this debate before...

I'd be all for allowing to <import> resources instead of files, except
for the way <import> was designed to not do things relative to its
parent directory, like HTML and XSL hrefs. I can't see how we could
have a clean "relative" import model like HTML/XSL while retaining BC.
Yes, we could probably import easily a resource of the "first level",
but it would be kludgy at best for this imported build to refer to
other resources in the same jar file for example.

So really we have to choose between limiting ourself to our current
design for import, or extend it to resources but in such a way that I
feel is unnatural, inconsistent, and a bit of a hack. But maybe I'm
just missing the point somewhere, or my view that import is flawed is
what flawed in fact ;-) --DD