ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven and Ant collaboration on task codebase
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 04:20:10 GMT
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/21/05, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:

>> -release a separate ant-execution library, at exactly the same
>> frequency as ant point releases.
>
> I'm not sure that this is required. Surely an Ant release can just
> use the last release of that library, whenever and whatever that
> was.

The "whenever that was" part scares me, honestly.  I've seen struts
releases slip because they needed a new release of some commons
libraries.

If we go the route of commons then we must accept that our release
schedule suddenly can be held up by a commons committer -1ing a
release of a component that Ant depends on - when Ant depends on
something not available in the latest release.

We must also accept that Ant committers have to monitor commons-dev
and ensure a component we depend on doesn't get changed in a way that
negatively affects Ant.  I know I've been overcommitting in the past
(see commons-openpgp) and doubt that I'd have the bandwidth to do
that.  We must understand that splitting out stiff we depend on means
more work for us, even after all the refactorings have been done.

And of course the new commons components must be buildable by Gump as
reliably as bootatrap-ant does today.  Gump is the major integration
test for Ant.

> - get release being used from svn (externals?)

Yes, we need to have them in Ant's build tree at bootstrap time.

> - copy sources into ant source tree/temp source directory, mapping
> paths from o/a/commons/exec -> o/a/tools/ant/exec
> - replace package statement in source files
>
> It is a bit gruesome, but it does work.

gruesome, I agree.  I don't see any other approach either.

Stefan