ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: suggestion refactor SCM
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:02:01 GMT

On 29 Sep 2005, at 06:39, Brett Porter wrote:

> I'd also agree with that. We fully intended to make Maven2 plugins
> work as Ant tasks :)
>
> So with a wrapper,
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/scm/maven-scm-plugin/
> these goals would become tasks and their parameters would match up
> what's on the individual pages.
>
> Thoughts?

Just a worry about dependencies.  If Ant has to rely on other code
from within maven for a set of maven plugins to run, we end up with a
horrible interdependency (Maven needs Ant <-> Ant needs some % of
Maven) just to compile ant.  Could get nasty.  But I agree if the
work is there and the code can be taken and made common between
projects, why not?

(When you first replied Brett, I checked out the source in svn web
thingy and I saw a fair bit of codehaus imports - I personally don't
have any good experience (as a user) of anything from codehaus so I'm
wary of that code, but you obviously have a more in depth view)

> - Brett

>>> in a

My thoughts were that in the future you'd download a base-ant, and
then depending on the SCM you use you'd download the scm-provider-
ant.jar

eg

base-ant1.8.jar + svn-ant.jar

Each antlib is going to be tiny compared to the amount you have to
download for all SCM functionality that we currently have (I'm still
on dial-up here so download speed and size of code is important to
me :) )

>>> have

The hard part is defining a consistent interface which is applicable
to all SCM systems, without dropping down to lowest common denominator.

Kev
--
"In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I
fall out with the Abuse. The Thing! The Thing itself is the Abuse!" -