ant-dev mailing list archives

From JP Fiset ...@fiset.ca>
Subject Re: AW: Fileset and Custom Fileset in Ant 1.7
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:55:16 GMT
I believe I do, but if you can prove me wrong, then I'd be delighted to
go around custom files sets.

I am trying to provide file selectors in svn-ant, which is an ant
library that support subversion. Subversion keeps track of files that
are deleted and missing. If I want to write an ant task where all
missing files are restored, then the classic file set is not sufficient.
I created a new file set that queries the subversion client for all
files, regardless of whether they are present on the file system or not.
Since there are already existing ant tasks based on file sets to perform
restoring operations, using the custom file set allows re-using the same
code but with the ability to specify files that are, as far as the file
system is concerned, non-existent.

I can not see a way around it, since the classic file set can not
predict files that are not on the file system. I know that creating a
custom file set that returns paths of non-existing files is a departure
from what is generally accepted of a file set, however mis-use of the
custom file set will result in  a task failure. For example:

<svnFileSet id="missingFiles" dir="workingCopy">
    <svnMissing/>
</svnFileSet>

<copy todir="x">
    <fileset refid="missingFiles"/>
</copy>

will fail. But, this weird behaviour is just a nuisance compared to the
great benefits of something like this:

<svnFileSet id="modifiedFiles" dir="workingCopy">
    <and>
        <svnModified/>
       <svnAdded/>
       <svnReplaced/>
    </and>
</svnFileSet>

<copy todir="x">
    <fileset refid="modifiedFiles""/>
</copy>

Tell me what you think. I am in the development stage for this feature,
and I have yet to submit the patch to svn-ant. This is a good time to
influence the design.

JP