ant-dev mailing list archives

From JP Fiset ...@fiset.ca>
Subject Re: suggestion refactor SCM
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:40:39 GMT
It certainly is an interesting idea. I think the main challenge in this
endeavour is to figure out what is the common denominator between all
the SCM systems and then assess if it is encompassing enough to warrant
abstracting it out.

I wish this effort will not be limited to tasks, but will also include
file sets and file selectors, since I feel it is necessary in managing a
source repository properly. For example, in svn-ant (the subversion ant
lib), I implemented file selectors to discriminate files based on status
such as: added, replaced, unversioned, ignored, etc. That, in itself,
was not enough. I needed to also provide a file set, since subversion
has a concept of "missing" and "deleted" files. Obviously, a classic
file set can not predict files that are not present on the file system,
so a custom file set had to be designed.

While tasks might have to be limited to common functionality (why
develop a script based on a task that keeps failing on a majority of SCM
systems), file selectors can combine the richness of all SCM systems. If
a SCM system does not support a concept, then the related file selector
would never tag any file. Scripts based on those file selectors would be
valid, regardless of the underlying SCM system.

JP