ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <>
Subject suggestion refactor SCM
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:59 GMT

I've been playing with darcs recently and I've almost finished an antlib
for it (though I keep being distracted, first Haskell, now Lisp....).

'darcs get' is roughly similar to 'cvs checkout' or 'svn co'

I was wondering if it would make sense to refactor the SCM tasks into an
interface (scm) and have a set of antlibs that implement that interface
in a vendor specific manner.  Such that

<scm command="commit">

is handled appropriately by each SCM system in it's own way, whilst at
the same time exposing a common API to simplify this (very common) set
of tasks.  I'm thinking it'd be similar to how the <javac> task
simplifies compiling regardless of which compiler you want to use.

Is this:
a - a stupid idea and a colossal waste of time
b - a not too stupid idea, but still a colossal waste of time
c - not stupid, a colossal waste of time, but it'd be worth doing anyway
d - none of the above

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message