ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fileset and Custom Fileset in Ant 1.7
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:59:48 GMT
--- JP Fiset <jp@fiset.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> Can anyone comment on the impact of those changes as
> to the
> compatibility of fileset-based tasks between 1.6 and
> 1.7?
>
> After reviewing the code (without testing my
> assumptions), it looks like:
> 1. Fileset-based tasks written to take advantage of
> ResourceCollection
> instead of FileSet will not run in Ant prior to 1.7
> 2. Fileset-based tasks written prior to 1.7
> (dependent on FileSet) will
> not be able to support custom file sets, even if
> running in 1.7
>
> Are my assumptions right?

For the most part, yes.  However, depending on your
needs you have some options.  If your "custom fileset"
follows basic fileset semantics you can subclass
fileset and use your implementation freely in version
current and future Ant.  See zipfileset for an example
of a fileset subclass with (very) different behavior
from the parent.  Another option you have is--if your
resources will always be true files--to program to the
path class.  In current Ant versions a path can
contain fileset|dirset|filelist in addition to its own
path attribute and pathelement child elements, but in
Ant >= 1.7 path will accept any ResourceCollection as
long as it consists of filesystem resources only.  In
effect ResourceCollections are transparent to tasks
that make use of paths instead of filesets.

-Matt