ant-dev mailing list archives

From jful...@ruminate.co.uk
Subject RE: task namespaces
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:44:16 GMT
"Jose Alberto Fernandez" <jalberto@cellectivity.com> wrote ..
> I do not see why we need to support this kind of thing.
> NO-one asks the javac compiler to be able to compile code inside your
> Word document. If you have ANT inside some other markup, use an XSLT or

i think the larger the distance between code and its related metadata the more cumbersome
its development, generation of docs, etc....

since MS Word is a properietary format...(talking about the binary)...would never ask for
this....though i would like this exact scenario when for example writing a book;

I would then embed code listing directly into lets say OpenOffice markup....and generate code
listings (single source much better) as well as test that the code does compile. I would like
to also embed build markup inside this rich XML composite document.

> other transformer to extract it and put it in a place consumable by ANT.
>
> ANT does not need to be the do all for everything.

i like this mantra for Ant and it has served it well over the years... though I think a small
adjustement that lets Ant 'play nice' with other XML markup isnt such a problem.

In any event, will post patch if I have the time.

my 2czk, Jim Fuller