ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: antlib loading in typedef
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:26:00 GMT
> From: Steve Loughran [mailto:stevel@apache.org]
> One change I have also checked in to Definer.java is some extra logic
> for naming antlibs. Instead of just
>
> 	antlib:org.example.package
>
> you can go
>
> 	antlib://org/example/package/file.xml
>
> and have that file's declarations read in. This will let me keep a set
> of antlibs in a single dir, load it with -lib and then have
>
> antlib://m2-macros.xml
> antlib://sf-macros.xml
>
> So, I am clearly +1 in having this feature. What I am 0 about is the
> exact syntax. Should it be a full path like what I have done, or should
> it be
>
> antlib://org.example.package/file.xml
> antlib:org.example.package/file.xml
> antlib://org.example.package/antlib.xml
>
> In which case, the antlib.xml is just something we patch in on the end
> if there is no /*.xml file defined at the tail.
>
> Thoughts?

I guess you did go more into the use case, after your commit ;-)

I'm still not sure I fully follow your logic... but it sounds like you want
to load some macros by (ab?)using the antlib mechanism??? Why not simply use
<import> to load target-less builds with macro definitions?

Auto-downloading tasks (instead of push, I much prefer pull, where you fail
asking the user to run a given target to do the download explicitly) can be
handled just the same with an imported build file, no?

The one think your current use of antlib with -lib gives you is the ability
to locate the resource dynamically using the classpath. This could and
probably should be handled using an import path (kind of like a vpath) that
<import> could use, no? I think this feature has been requested before. It
would avoid me having to use an env. var. to locate the imported file as
well.

Like I said in my other message, I think we should reserve the antlib
<import>, possibly enhanced, to support what I believe you want.

Thoughts? --DD