ant-dev mailing list archives

From jonathan gold <jg...@samizdatdigital.org>
Subject programmatically creating and marshalling antfiles
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:03:56 GMT
are there libraries i've somehow missed in the ant api that allow me to
take a Project object i've built programmatically and write it as an
antfile to some OutputStream?

to give some context: as part of our buildsystem, i'm pulling packages
and setting up directories and workspaces (using ivy and the like), and
want to generate antfiles to do the builds. these antfiles need to
contain (or import) the <path> objects inferred from the ivy pull. at
the moment, i'm just building the antfile as a org.w3c.dom.Document, but
would prefer to just do something like:

     Project proj = new Project();
     Path classPath = createClassPath( ... );
     ProjectWriter pw = new ProjectWriter();
     pw.writeProject( proj, someOutputStream );

but i don't see an easy way in the ant api to do this right now. if it's
not there, and i'm missing it, is there interest in having me start some
work on it?

incidentally, i tried searching for an answer to this question on some
search engines, but the search terms make it a bit difficult, since
searches for things like 'antfile writer', 'ant file writer', 'ant
project marshaller' and 'ant project serializer' give results more about
writing ant tasks (ie, 'joe the "ant" task "writer" ... ) and xml
processing in general. anyway, i apologize if this has already been
discussed, and would be happy to have a pointer to that previous
discussion if such exists...

jon