ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: FYI: document the code
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:43:45 GMT
James Fuller wrote:

>Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>

>>You know that we (for several months :) are discussing about
>>autogenerating the manual.
>>I think we should have an eye on one of the Apache Google Summer of Code
>>projects - RefDoc.
>>Maybe we could reuse parts or the whole of it.
>>
>>See
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112289337320271&w=2
>>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/gsoc/rgraham/refdoc/
>>

>+1

definitely +1

>my only worry would be any dep on something as big as cocoon.... (though
>current experience using native xml db eXist has been quite good, which
>also uses cocoon)

[OT]
What's the database like?  I've never used a native XML format db
(although I heard that DB2 has some pretty good native XML storage
abilities)

>http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonRefDocProject
>
>perhaps the reason for this not going forward is not related to the
>'how', but agreement on the semantics. I would argue that however 'way'
>this happens that a  micro xml format is needed first for describing Ant
>tasks, pref one that integrates with existing ant itself. The resultant
>doc format can easily be generated using Ant; I think this is an
>opportunity much larger then just solving Ant's doc issues. The idea of
>the final format being pdf, docbook, xhtml, or whatever in between
>format for further processing is trivial.

So you would run Ant over your code to generate an intermediate format
from whatever you annotated your code with and Voila! instant doc.
SSounds like XDoclet on steroids :)

Kev