ant-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew ...@starfishzone.com>
Subject Re: Java Development with Ant
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 06:16:46 GMT
I work in a web agency, here are some of the more esoteric things I have done:

- strictly control access to deployment/live servers; only access to deploy
is via a series of Ant tasks; limit files that can go live by the use of
file filters
- promoting reference data from dev > staging databases
- rename thousands of files according to certain glob patterns
- auto-produce change logs (by invoking tools that analyse cvs), including
this as part of a release
- extract a set of delta changes (between two cvs tags), zip up as a
"patch", scp to remote host
- parse product catalogue files, convert into various XML formats, dispatch
by FTP to affiliate partners, record success/fail in a database
- invoking test scripts (note use of try/catch type Ant tasks)

Some of the latter involved writing custom Ant tasks; this is well worth
the investment, generally - particularly if you want to assure repeatable
action (and hence quality) by members of a team.  With careful use to
always use relative paths, a build.xml is totally portable between
individual's installations.