ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Java Development with Ant
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:52:18 GMT
Hi all,

I'm preparing a talk for the developers here in Vietnam about how to use
Ant to build software (mainly Java, but you know there's the .net tasks
too).  I have the main body of the presentation completed, but I wanted
to include some of the more esoteric things you can do with Ant (not the
videogame!).  I noticed on the Manning web-site that Steve mentioned
that he has slides available showing imports, macrodefs etc, these would
be incerdibly hadny if he still has them (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

I cover:
- Ant versus Make
- Ant instead of IDE compilation
- Continuous Integration (CruiseControl)
- Common tasks (clean, compile, jar etc)
- Server-side stuff (ftp, deploy etc)

Anything else I should include for first-timers?  My aim is to help the
developers realise that although it is possible to work as a team with
each person compiling in their own ide, that Ant simplifies things and
allows them to re-use the build script on other projects etc.  I've got
another talk on unit testing coming up (I've been here nearly 10 months
and I've only seen 1 unit test and there was nothing tested in it).
Needless to say, the working practices are similar to what I'd expect in
the 80's (SourceSafe as version control, everyone locks files, Waterfall
as the process, massive investment in design up front, testing is done
by teams of bored people etc etc).

Kev