ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Reilly <peter.rei...@corvil.com>
Subject Re: javac
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:33:58 GMT
Ok
I still think that it would be better to try to modularize it, however
it is fair enough the deal with the problem using the least amount
of effort!.

Cheers,
Peter

Jean Lazarou wrote:

>We changed the memory size, using the ways you described, but the build still failed.
>
>The problem with splitting in functional units is that the development is done on several
sites with several teams, and the final build made by us... we don't want to change that strange
process because that development is the legacy code maintainance, new developments are structured
differently and we don't run into the same problems. But, we want to have all the builds made
using ant.

>Jean
>
>Peter Reilly <peterreilly@apache.org> wrote:
>It may be better to give more memory to the compiler.
>With enough memory a hugh number of files can be
>compiled. The default memory is only I think 64M.
>
>This can be done in a number of ways -
>
>- use the env variable ANT_OPTS to specify the memory
>for Ant's jvm
>example: export ANT_OPTS="-Xms200m -Xmx1000m"
>in your .bashrc file
>- spawn a jvm for the compiler
>destdir="${build}"
>fork="true" memoryInitialSize="100m"
>memoryMaximumSize="1000m"/>
>
>In extreme cases you can split the code into functional units
>and compile each separately. This would not be at the level of
>directories, but complete package trees. We had to do this
>in a project once.
>
>Peter
>
>Jean Lazarou wrote:
>

>>We are trying to create an ant build for legacy code, that is build using some make
tool, as I don't want to break the already complicated buiild, I preferred simulate the same
behaviour as the make tool we're using. As that legacy code is still alive I cannot count
the files and decide how to split because it could break in several months.

>>Jean
>>

>>Phil Weighill Smith
>>

>wrote:
>

>>Why not simply put two calls to javac in your build script and split the
>>source tree in two in the same way that you have in your new task,
>>passing one tree to the first call and the other to the second?
>>
>>Clearly you need to ensure that the first call compiles "pre-requisite"
>>code for the second call and that you should avoid cyclic references
>>between the two sets of classes.
>>
>>Phil :n.
>>
>>PS: I would consider re-structuring the application into "subsystems"
>>with separate source trees and separate build scripts per subsystem.
>>Dependencies between subsystems only on the class files (not the source
>>files). This is the approach we have taken to great effect.
>>
>>On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 00:12 -0700, Jean Lazarou wrote:
>>

>>>We had problem with a (legacy) build from scratch, seems that, because we have
too many java files to compile, nothing is compiled (both on Linux and Windows2000).

>>>After spending 4 days on that, I decided to split the compilation, I created a
new task, name "bydir-javac". The task is derived from Javac.