ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Woehr <...@well.com>
Subject Re: XJ - xml extension for Java
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:40:21 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:

> Actually I believe Java got it right as compared to C++ -- at least as
> used in the ANSI C++ generic collections library.  This library
> generates big chunks of object code for *every* type thrown at it --
> irrespective of similarities in types.

I *think* that footprint issue is compiler-specific.

> But otherwise, I think the Java generics guys did an amazingly good
> job, especially given the constraint of interoperability with legacy
> code using collection classes.

Oh, most assuredly. I love Java generics. Just wish they'd been there
earlier to save me, oh,
let's say a total of about 4,000 lines of code in my personal practice
since 1996!

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # Please change your address book listing
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   # for me to "jax@well.com" for all email.