ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XJ - xml extension for Java
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:32:28 GMT
Alexey Solofnenko wrote:
> On JavaOne SUN presented something similar for Java 7. The syntax is not
> finilized yet - there are problems - <> characters are used in Java
> generics. They thinking about using # character, but it does not look good.
> IBM's compiler does not support generics - it is 1.4 only.

1. I wish jikes would move up to 1.5; my life is spent waiting for
things to compile again.

2. <> looks ugly in generics; it should stay in XML where it belongs.
Maybe that shows the price of copying c++ too slavishly (except I still
think they should haved stuck to bool instead of boolean)

3. I fear there may be a limit to how well you can take the existing
java syntax and make it better for XML, just as with C-omega. Functional
and AI languages are a much more natural fit to working with complex
graphs/trees of XML data.

On the subject of java1.5; who is using <apt> yet?