ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Wood" <kenneth.w...@e2open.com>
Subject RE: javac
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:43:27 GMT
Just FYI, I have legacy code I need to compile, I have been
building it with ant for years...

I just structure my build.xml to compile sections,
i.e. <javac srcdir="com.abc"
       includes="Z/**/*.java"/>

     <javac srcdir="com.abc"
        includes="Y/**/*.java"/>

And so on for 26 sections!

It has worked fine...

Ugly, yes. But, it doesn't require extensions to Ant, which
can be problematic when moving from one version of Ant to
another (and this code started out being compiled with
Ant 1.1 maybe - so long ago I don't remember.... and now is
up to Ant 1.6.1)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Lazarou [mailto:jeanlazarou@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:53 AM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: RE: javac

Do you think we can pick up any splitting for the subsystem to compile?

How can you be sure, when you're not developer of the project, that some
sub-tree won't imply that, due to compilation dependencies, again too
much files to compile at once? Even the approach I wrote is not full
reliable...

Any way, creating a new task that derives from the ant Javac task
implemention was pretty easy to do.

I thank you for you advice.

Jean

Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:
Phil is right Jean. Independently of splitting the code in subsystems,
which is always a good idea, even if you can't do that you can split the
compile of a single source tree into several passes using regular . This
can even enforce dependencies of the code compiled by the different
passes. The trick is to reset the sourcepath that normally sets.

I include here an example for reference. Hope this helps. --DD

       Compile the java code from src/ into build/classes
    -->

         when not forking , and instead specify directly the
         JVM argument only when forking... Convoluted, but works!  -->

destdir="@{destdir}" sourcepath=""
deprecation="${deprecation}" debug="true" verbose="false"
includeAntRuntime="false" fork="@{fork}">  -->