ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Lazarou <jeanlaza...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: javac
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 06:25:49 GMT
Ok, you approach is fine, even if it doesn't fit my situation as I should find at what *levels*
of the tree structure I should apply your idea.

If you look at the Javac Task implementation you can see that it is not far from beeing an
API, the Javac developer could publish that his/her implementation (1) finds all the files
to compile, in the execute method, storing the result in a *protected* variable (not a private
like some other variables) (2) calls the compile method... from a OO perspective it looks
like an invitation to extension.

With open-source you can spend time to look at the code and learn how people implemented things...
and then have ideas on how to add custom things. If later on the new stuffs can help anyone,
it's better. That's the reason I registered myself on this list. To share what I did, in case
others think it would be of any interrest.

The extension I made could be a parameter in the nomal Javac implementation, like beeing able
to pick up the right compilation strategy. So, not having the problem you described with new
versions.

Regards,

Jean

Kenneth Wood <kenneth.wood@e2open.com> wrote:
Just FYI, I have legacy code I need to compile, I have been
building it with ant for years...

I just structure my build.xml to compile sections,
i.e. includes="Z/**/*.java"/>

includes="Y/**/*.java"/>

And so on for 26 sections!

It has worked fine...

Ugly, yes. But, it doesn't require extensions to Ant, which
can be problematic when moving from one version of Ant to
another (and this code started out being compiled with
Ant 1.1 maybe - so long ago I don't remember.... and now is
up to Ant 1.6.1)