ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Updates to the Maven Artifact Ant tasks
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:07:46 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> Just wanted to let you know about the changes I dropped in for the
> dependencies and related tasks. Hopefully it is inline with the
> feedback you'd been providing.
>
> - added the ability to exclude specific transitive dependencies from
> being pulled in from a specific dependency

Definitely needed.

> - ability to use a POM to specify dependencies and repositories, in
> addition to the ant types

Good. I will use that, as transitive dependencies need that I upload a
POM along with the artifact. I would personally suggest that the ant
types are deprecated.

> - full support for external configuration (proxies, authentication
> info, repository mirrors, local repository location). The search order
> is ~/.ant/settings.xml, then ~/.m2/settings.xml

Good :-)

> - ability to export properties or references from the pom:
> <artifact:setProperty property="parent.artifact.id"
> expression="project.parent.artifactId" pomRefId="maven.project" />
> <artifact:setProperty ref="developers"
> expression="project.developers" pomRefId="maven.project" /> (not sure
>  whether this is a useful thing or not - I just thought references
> made sense for object types)

I would use PropertyHelper instead:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/PropertyHelper.java?view=markup

Here is an example:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/proposal/embed/src/java/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/XMLDOM.java?view=markup
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/proposal/embed/test.xml?rev=1.9&view=markup

In this way, instead of

   <artifact:setProperty property="parent.artifact.id"
                         expression="project.parent.artifactId"
                         pomRefId="maven.project" />

One could do something like:

   <property name="parent.artifact.id"
             value="${maven.project:project.parent.artifactId}">

> This is only in the SVN version at the moment - if you'd like a
> development build published just let me know.

Please do, I will use it right away.

> Are there other features you see being needed, or is the focus now on
> the error handling, validation and testing? Here I only mean Ant
> specific things, as other features added to Maven like the dependency
> path reporting, version ranges and conflict resolution will work from
> the tasks as is, I think.
> The only thing I've got left on my list is to incoporate the Maven
> profiles support, but we need to play with that more on our end first.

Looks good, bring it on! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -