ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code, Apache ANT project ideas?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:04:56 GMT

On Jun 3, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Daniels, Doug wrote:
> Yeah I was way off on Velocity I thought it was part of XDocs but
> really its that servlet engine.

You weren't really far off.  There is DVSL transformations in the
current mix which is Velocity.  Velocity isn't a bad choice
necessarily.  I was merely opening the door for discussion on how to
craft this thing - no need to stick with the legacy way just because
it's already partly there.  A new and improved process may save time
and be cleaner in the long run.

> What's wrong with XDocs it seems like a good way to parse through
> the Ant Tasks meta-data javadoc comments and extract the
> information we need for documentation.

Nothing is "wrong" with it per se, but it's a pretty heavy process.
Maybe using one of the faster/lighter/simpler Java parsers out there
would be better.  Requiring XDoclet for 3rd party tasks to generate
documentation may be a bit heavy handed and prohibitive.

> What other types of capability were you looking for?

Being able to fold examples into the documentation is a critical part
of it, and being able to generate documentation in HTML, PDF, and
other formats is quite desirable.

> The project deliverable would most likely be an Ant Task that could
> perform this document auto-generation right?

I think so.

> Where can I find the previous XDoc stuff that was developed?

It's in Ant's CVS under proposals/xdocs.  Incidentally this is what
generated Appendix E of Java Development with Ant (and could have
been used to write the first edition of O'Reilly's Ant: The
Definitive Guide :).

     Erik