ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code, Apache ANT project ideas?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:19:03 GMT

On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> Don Stewart wrote:
>
>> As an alternative to directly using the Java 1.5 annotations you
>> could
>> user the JSR-175 backport of the annotations spec.
>> Also on codehaus as http://backport175.codehaus.org/
>> Cheers
>> Don
>>

> yes, except we have to deal with building on OSS javac compilers; I
> dont think jikes is annotation ready.

backport175 is in javadoc comments though, so there shouldn't be any
compiler issues with that.  right?

I like the ideas of using backport175 and/or qdox.  I think either of
these approaches will be much lighter and faster than using XDoclet.

> the bigger issue with annotations is that their real role is to
> provide metadata in the .class files, above and beyond the
> @deprecated markers. We dont need that with ant *today*.

With backport175 you get access to the annotations at runtime if you
want.  Same could be done with a qdox/XDoclet approach by building a
descriptor that is then available at runtime.  It was always my hope
that IDE's would leverage this sort of metadata to better interact
with Ant build files.

> Annotations would make more sense if you could annotate methods to
> explicitly export them as elements/attributes, or explicitly hide
> them, more to the point. You could even add extra information about
> the cardinality of things (like elements must be unique, exclusive,
> etc.) this would be useful to both docs and dynamically generated
> schemas. But that is a lot of extra complexity. EJB-land is going
> that way, as their life is already complex, and java1.5 promises
> simplicity...

I'm not sure if you are pro/con for backport175 by reading your
response.  backport175 seems to offer a cleaner system to the XDoclet
stuff I originally did.  What are the cons to using it?

     Erik