ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Updates to the Maven Artifact Ant tasks
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:00:37 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> On 6/8/05, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:

>>Here in ant-land, we've done two things to make the stuff work better
>>
>>1.
>

> Are these the same points you added below?

no, I forgot to type some stuff

1. Resource collections are a new way of representing stuff; filesets
are inherently resource collections. I'm told this will make it easier
to manipulate filesets.

2. what was #2? I forget.

>>1. build file tests; check handling of missing required items, etc, etc.
>>ant-testutils is the jar for this.
>

> Ok, that will be worth a look. I'm pretty flat out for the next ocuple
> of weeks, then JavaOne, then holidays - so I'll revisit this next
> month :)
>
> Is this still going to give enough time to prepare for Ant 1.7?

Maybe. I might have a go at starting the test suite, its not too hard in
junit, and now AntUnit promises more simplicity.

>>5. something to map from (artifact,groupid,version) to the path to a
>>jar, to a pom, or the base dir. Here is my macro to get the dest
>>directory, used when copying in local stuff.
>

> I thought that was why dependencies had a fileset ID, so you didn't
> need to worry about constructing paths, or knowing where the local
> repository is if using external config?

its primarily for local deployment-by-copying. Now, maven itself has a
built in publish-to-a-repository goal doesnt it? That is what i really
need, I suspect. Push out an artifact to a location, generate a POM file
on demand, plus the checksums.

> Anyway, happy for this to go into JIRA. It can use the code already in
> Maven to set the property and it would be flexible across layouts.
>
> The proxy idea in a later email is also good, JIRA'd.

...just another example of how J2SE is laptop unfriendly. I think it
comes from sun's no-laptop-except-powerbooks-you-buy-yourself policy.