ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code, Apache ANT project ideas?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:42:59 GMT
Don Stewart wrote:
> As an alternative to directly using the Java 1.5 annotations you could
> user the JSR-175 backport of the annotations spec.
> Also on codehaus as http://backport175.codehaus.org/
>
> Cheers
>
> Don

yes, except we have to deal with building on OSS javac compilers; I dont
think jikes is annotation ready.

the bigger issue with annotations is that their real role is to provide
metadata in the .class files, above and beyond the @deprecated markers.
We dont need that with ant *today*.

Annotations would make more sense if you could annotate methods to
explicitly export them as elements/attributes, or explicitly hide them,
more to the point. You could even add extra information about the
cardinality of things (like elements must be unique, exclusive, etc.)
this would be useful to both docs and dynamically generated schemas. But
that is a lot of extra complexity. EJB-land is going that way, as their
life is already complex, and java1.5 promises simplicity...

-steve