ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code, Apache ANT project ideas?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:06:31 GMT

On Jun 6, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Stephane Bailliez wrote:

> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>

>> I like the ideas of using backport175 and/or qdox.  I think either
>> of  these approaches will be much lighter and faster than using
>> XDoclet.
>>

> AFAIK backport175 and XDoclet both make use of qdox.

Unless XDoclet rearchitected since I last used it, it uses a custom
parser, not qdox.  XDoclet2 is a different story, but as far as I
know that has never been that viable to use.

> What would backport175 or XDoclet bring that cannot be done with
> qdox in our case ?

backport175 would allow us to use JDK 1.5-"looking" annotations
making it trivial to convert to true annotations later.  This could
be done with pure qdox, sure, but it would require reimplementing
what has already been done in backport175 on top of qdox.

XDoclet provides a sophisticated templating mechanism also, which
neither backport175 nor qdox have built in.

     Erik