ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RFC: metadata (annotations) in ANT
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 14:33:38 GMT
On Thu, 05 May 2005, Alexey N. Solofnenko <A.Solofnenko@mdl.com>
wrote:

> So instead of adding N+1 attribute, it is possible to use metadata
> facility similar to ones in Java or C# - generic annotations for
> targets (and tasks).

One alternative would be to use namespace aware attributes, making Ant
ignore attributes in namespaces it didn't understand but still store
them (in an identity map for example).

I must confess that I don't follow your usecases, though.  So far I
don't even understand your approach to parallel execution based on
such metadata, your example might be too terse or I should go to
bugzilla or the mailing list archives to get the context.  Dunno.

>   Annotations are defined using XML processing instructions in
>   format <?name attr="value"...?>

Ouch.

Any way that worked without PIs would be better IMHO.

> IdentityHashMap was introduced in Java 1.4. This would be a good
> reason to drop 1.3 support in ANT (discussed separately),

We haven't even dropped 1.2 support 8-)

> Possible uses:
> - for parallel executor: <?mutex names="test-mutex1,remote-test-mutex"?>
>   <target name="some-test">

what would that mean?  And what would it mean for your parallel
executor if I don't mark up my build file at all?  Maybe I can't
because I'm checking it out from somewhere else.

> - for distributed executor:
>   <?prerequisite name="Linux" min-version="2.4"?>
>   <?prerequisite name="InstallShield" version="6.1"?>
>   <?option name="support-unc-path" value="no"?>

This completely loses me.  Is the first one the equivalent of

<fail>
  <condition>
    <not>
      <and>
        <os family="unix"/>
        <os name="Linux"/>
        <os version="2.4"/>
      </and>
    </not>
  </condition>
</fail>

> - for group executor (to execute only targets from some subset):
>   <?group names="solaris,install"?>

No idea, sorry.

Stefan