ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: SVN cheap copies for tags and branches
Date Sun, 22 May 2005 19:33:25 GMT
On Fri, 20 May 2005, Dominique Devienne <> wrote:

> In other words, as far as I know and given the conventions of
> putting trunk / tags / branches in each sub-project, there's no way
> to quickly and easily update from the top-level to get only trunks
> for everything.

Correct.  svn has no idea of trunks and branches.

> I'm still very new at SVN, so maybe I'm missing something.

What Stephane said.  Create a directory "all-trunks" or something like
that and add svn:externals to that pointing to the trunks of all
components.  The only work on that.

> Also, SVN copies may be cheap on the server, but are they really
> cheap on the client.

Quite the opposite.

> Our SVN repo is still young, but when we'll have many tags/branches
> of the whole Core tree when it's all in SVN, how many copies of Ant
> would one get when updating from the top level?

One per tag and one per branch.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message