ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shut down the 1.6 branch after 1.6.5
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 18:20:41 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Sometimes I merge changes into the 1.6 branch without merging the unit
> tests as well.  Sometimes I don't merge changes at all.  Sometimes I
> forget to pull a change from the branch when it has been pulled from
> HEAD ...
>
> I bet, other committers have similar experiences.

I'm sure I have, even with my limited experience.

> This leads me to the subject of this vote.  Let's get rid of the
> branch, stabelize CVS HEAD and release 1.7.0-beta in a reasonable
> time-frame.

+1 from me. Maintenance releases are a good thing, but they should
probably be reserved for the occasional regression or other serious bug.

> PS: I also intend to start a vote that branches shouldn't live as long
> as the 1.5 and 1.6 branches did but we do new releases from HEAD more
> quickly.  This will wait until this vote has been decided.

I think I would be +1 to this as well.

More generally, I think we need a clearer statement of what goes into
dot-dot releases. A lot of features have been mixed into 1.6.x as well
as bugfixes - and not just features, but changes to the
org.apache.tools.ant.* "APIs" (i.e. classes in ant.jar which people
would in practice refer to when embedding Ant or writing tasks or
listeners etc.), as well as changes to the syntax permitted for tasks in
build scripts (e.g. added attributes). Perhaps we should try to limit
such changes to those required for fixes for serious bugs, under some
reasonable definition of "serious" and "bug".

Maybe we should also request that any branch bugfix be accompanied by a
regression test, unless there is some reason why a mechanical test for
the bug is impractical.

Cheers,
-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com   x22801   netbeans.org   ant.apache.org
if I had known it was harmless I would have killed it myself