ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <libraries> and m2 <artifact :>
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 12:05:27 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:

> I've been busy last week reworking the <libraries> stuff to handle
> maven2 stuff.
>
> to be precise, it now has the notion of a <layout> which can dictate the
> client side or server side layout of libraries, and <transports>
> independent from the layout

In theory, it seems excellent, and it's conceptually more complete.
I'm happy that you have tried it.

> But I'm not happy with what I've done.
> This is resulting code that is over-complex, hard to test, and
> potentially hard to maintain.

Ruper, AKA Depot, used a complete package to resolve the versioning. It
was very complex, I can definately agree with you. It's complexity made
other developers not even touch the versioning code, and it was one of
the causes it stopped, IMHO.

> At the same time, I've been playing with the M2 artifact tasks. They
> still need some work
> But they work. And they work on Ant1.6.x *today*. And the antlib
> declaration mechanism does work
>
> I am thinking of stopping all work on <libraries>, embracing the maven2
> stuff instead. Here is my rationale
>  -projects can start using the maven2 tasks today.
>  -the m2 stuff can implement transitive dependencies (if not already done)
>  -maybe even PGP validation (which needs bouncy castle jar)
>  -and maybe httpclient over the fairly brittle java.net code
>  -we avoid duplicating effort, introducing inconsistencies.
>  -ability to update outside the ant dev schedule

Very reasonable.

> All the code in our SCM tree is russels' and mine, and while I am never
> happy about deleting stuff I've worked on, I'm happier doing that than
> maintaining something that is essentially duplicate work.

Been there, done that.

  ant <get> -> Ruper -> Depot -> *clunck* -> trashcan

> Here is my proposal
>  -check in what I have so far
>  -tag it
>  -delete it
>  -scrub it from the 1,7 requirements list.
>  -embrace it where appropriate as the preferred way to do dynamic
> library download
>  -identify and fix areas where the tasks can improve; get those patches in
>  -identify where Ant can be made to work better with the tasks. One
> thing that Russell identified was a need to get the classpath into the
> <lib> element of a WAR, for example. An extra element in <zip> could do
> that, and we could maybe add fileset creation to the m2 tasks alongside
> their path facility.

For what it's worth, I agree 100%.

BTW, I have proposed that Cocoon uses the m2 task for jar handling, and
the vote has passed.

> Sometimes you just need to knife the baby

Sad, but true.

In any case, your work will be of great help in giving a hand to Maven's
artifact handling.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -